Friday, November 11, 2011

Who more than self...

I love the third verse to America the Beautiful
Oh Beautiful for heroes proved through liberating strife
Who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life.
I can't sing that without emotion trickling from my eyes.
I am so grateful for heroes.
Today as I drove out of my driveway, I saw flags lining the streets of my neighborhood. I was thrilled. Thank you to the men who got up early to place those flags there.
At school, we had an assembly to honor the veterans of our country. A color guard from Hill Air Force Base presented the colors. My soul ached as I watched these heroes carry the standard of our nation in front of the hope of our nation. As we repeated the pledge of allegiance, I thrilled at the words that acknowledge my Father in Heaven and His hand in this great nation. I loved hearing the little voices that repeated that pledge with me and afterwards sang our anthem. Names of veterans were presented and the family members came up to be recognized. I had soggy eyes as I looked at the heroes that are family to our armed forces.
I love to read the Book of Mormon. Freedom was precious way back then. In Ether 2: 10, Moroni tells us that this is a land that is choice above all other lands. He also reminds us to serve our Heavenly Father to keep our freedoms. I am so grateful for that freedom. My heart is full as I think of the protectors. I pray that we will aways have a choice land where I can serve Heavenly Father without fear.

No comments: