Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pie- oneer Thanksgiving

So, because of the lack of a heated oven for Thanksgiving and as our group will be four this year, we are having a Pioneer Thanksgiving. We are going to Dutch oven the turkey and have corn bread instead of rolls. It is going to be a new and exciting experience.
   As we were coming up with this great plan around the Sunday dinner table, I fretted about my lack of faith in Dutch oven pies. Hayden quickly remarked that we didn't need pies, because the pioneers didn't have pies. Steve corrected Hayden with the comment, " Why do you think they call them "pie-oneers?" and Carter added, "Sure they baked pies. Remember the pie on the trail?"
Hayden further announced that they didn't bake THAT pie.
   I speculated about using the trailer oven and lamented that I wouldn't look forward to traveling that far out to bake and couldn't we move the trailer up by the house. They came up with many wonderful plans including shoveling me trails in the snow and building a zip line complete with a tool belt for cooking utensils and a shove off the deck.
  I am thankful for my fun family and the giggles that I experienced.

No comments: