Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"Getty" ing My Brain a Workout

I am working on being Getty- Ready. I am supposed to  be doing a display in the library. I wasn't all that jazzed about it at first. I decided that I should probably read the speech if I was going to be pushing it in the library. It is a fantastic piece of work. I am working on memorizing it. I have the first two paragraphs. I am going to attempt to type it here now without looking. Be prepared for slight word and punctuation mistakes. I may give my thoughts about the neat things I am discovering in it....
     Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. ( I learned that all men are created equal from learning that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father who loves me...)
    Now were are engaged in a great civil war testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived or so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We are come to dedicate a small portion of that battle- field as a final resting place for those who here died that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do so. (This paragraph also brings the words to my mind-"who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life. )
     Now I am going to check myself.
I made some punctuation mistakes and added 'battle' where it should not be. "We have come to dedicate a potion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this."
  I am so grateful for the heroes in history that have made my life as enjoyable as it is right now!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

When we lived in Jersey, we went to Gettysburg. It's an amazing place! There was a very strong feeling of the soldiers being there, of them knowing why they died, of them being proud of what they fought for. I, too, am very grateful for them and so many others. You are amazing!