Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Cat Came Back....


I love my new job! I know that, eventually I will have to teach the core and be a good girl, but for the first two weeks as I have established rules and procedures, we have played. My boss told me that the students have not been very enthusiastic about music so I began a quest to convert them. I have been singing questionable songs.....they love them. This week I taught them The Cat Came Back, a delightful song of the adventures of an unwanted cat with an uncanny talent of survival. A bit violent...but they loved it. One 3rd grade boy (usually a discipline challenge) said, "Mrs. Johnson this song is violent!". I said "Okay, I won't finish it." Pleas of protests were heard for the finish. One second grade girl stated that she would be having nightmares.
I think I am safe in my job as the administration keeps visiting ...(checking on me or enjoying my refrigerated air?) and I still have a job. So far so good. Any ideas of songs for the future? Please share. PS I love Bill the Cat!

4 comments:

Lesley said...

They are very lucky to have you as a teacher. You have always known such fun songs. I need to hear your cat came back version.

Tiffany said...

My favorite song my dad used to sing to us was called "Fling it Here, Fling it there" about a farmer who drove a tractor and you can guess what it was he was flinging...MANURE!!

Bonnie and Jim said...

Becky you are so fun. They truly love you.

Rebekah said...

My favorite song in Elementary school was Grandma's Feather Bed...