Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Thirty Five Years of Amazment

I should be out in the yard, but have a lot to share and remember. Sunday marked 35 years of being Mrs. Superman. I refuse to be stupid Lois Lane. He is amazing. I think of all he does for me and all the times he has worked miracles and he acts like I am something! I have been wanting to make a Rhubarb Leaf Bowl. So for our anniversary- we made it together. I am showing the steps.
Make a mound of sand into the shape you want your bowl to be. I wanted a deeper bowl. I am going to try other shapes later. 

Cut small squares of wire to reinforce the concert. About 4 inches square.

Choose a big beautiful Rhubarb leaf. 

Position the leaf over the sand. Spread it out. I made sure there were no folds.

Have Superman mix you some concert. I made him do it just a tad thinner than he wanted to. It worked great.

I have no idea why this cement mixer is junking up our yard. Superman prefers the wheelbarrow. (That was so that he would use it for more of my little project ideas!)

Spread a thin layer of concrete and smooth the wire over it. It can overlap and I didn't care if it covered every little spot.

Reinforcement

Spread another thin layer of concrete. I decided to engrave ours. "Happily Ever After
Steve & Becky June 1 1979

Let it cure for a while. What I read said 48 hours but Superman left it 6 days....actually, I couldn't stand it anymore and turned it over and cleaned it up after 6 days. The leaf was a little 'moist' . We let it dry and brushed it with a kitchen brush. It looks gorgeous. We are making it look like a pond for Cooper. I can't wait to try Hosta leaves!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

It looks amazing! I love you guys. Thanks for being my parents!

David and Dorthy said...

Very clever...let' go to lunch and talk.