Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Off to Serve

    I am finally in a place mentally that I am able to share this life event. All of his life, I have hoped that Hayden would serve a mission for our Savior. At the General Conference announcement of the lowering of ages for full time missionaries, I thought we would see an energetic young Elder Johnson leave quickly. He didn't. As I talked with him, I realized that he wasn't sure that was what he wanted to do. I assured him that the choice was his. That was a decision made between Father in Heaven and himself. I believe that not all individuals are called. My wish for all my children is that they be worthy to attend the temple and follow the Savior. I also assured him that we loved him no matter what that decision was and I meant it. We watched as he went about his business. One Sunday, after a day of fasting, he and his friend announced that after fasting and praying, they had both decided to serve missions. Superman had been fasting specifically for Hayden. Wow!
   This past week, Hayden departed for that service. While it was something that I wanted, it was also a heart tearing experience. Hayden spoke in church and gave a wonderful talk. We had family and friends to the house for finally bonding time and eating. We spent two days frantically acquiring the things he hadn't yet obtained. Then all too soon, Wednesday morning arrived. We met at the Stake President's office with those of our loved ones that could make it. He had a wonderful priesthood blessing from the Stake President.
  We came home to fresh blueberry muffins...made from scratch wink wink. All of the sudden it was time to leave. We took him to get a few birthday gifts as he would be in the MTC for his birthday, said a final goodbye to his Grandparents Johnson. (he said goodbye to Hulses the day before) and then we drove to Provo. We had lunch at Rubios. He said he didn't care where we ate and I could see that the reality of the moment was settling in. It was settling in on me also.
   We drove to the Provo Temple to say our goodbyes. I looked at him and tried to express my heart. All I could do was whisper, "I'm happy of you" (A phrase our family has used for years) The tears started. We hugged. He insisted on driving into the MTC. It caused a lot of confusion. At the first stop, the Elder asked for the back window to be rolled down. He saw Superman...He asked if there was an Elder in the car.  He put a sticker on the windshield to indicate that the Elder was driving. The next stop removed it. The final stop....Hayden removed his bags from the car and the greeter kept trying to take Carter (still dressed in his white shirt and tie from the blessing to set Hayden apart) I had to say several times. "you can't take him yet". When the greeter finally realized that the handsome gentleman with the bags was the Elder, they each took a bag and walked away. Hayden didn't even look back. My heart broke. I spent a very anxious week. I wanted to send a birthday party to Hayden in the same day delivery service at our market. Steve told me is would be too distracting and then I had an accident and couldn't walk. I wasn't able to let him know I loved him on his birthday. My heart kept breaking. I was wondering if he was able to sleep, was he feeling alone, was he feeling overwhelmed. What was happening!!!!
All day Monday I waited for an email so I could get some sense of his experiences. I had sent an email a day so he would know I was thinking of him. At 4:30 the mail was here! He was doing wonderfully. He was the Zone Leader. He had everyone meeting nightly to sing hymns and feel the Spirit. He was protecting his zone from hooligan missionaries. He was enjoying his group and liked his companion. My tears stopped (except for a few as I write this). I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven for watching over my boy...who is really His boy. I know that Hayden will become a greater man because of this. I read his Patriarchal Blessing before I put it away. Father knows what a great spirit Hayden is. He will make him even greater.
Last photo while 'arms length' rule isn't in effect

Those aiding in the blessing

With Mom and Dad

There was more than one super hero at our house that morning. 

Farewell to Grandparents. (Should have taken a photo the day before also.)

It's setting in...this is the final hour.

OUr last conversation with "Duh huh huh)

Impression of Carter

No words

Bye Dad

Georgia- you are getting the greatest man ever. Who will he touch?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

He will have a great experience. Thanks for sharing this post. Love you!

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.