Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Soup-er Share

I am 'challenging' (is it is tag?) my favorite people to post a favorite soup recipe to share. I love soup season. I am sharing one of my favorite recipes.
Mushroom Barley Soup
1 1/2 lbs. cubed beef (I use a cheap roast)
1 TB oil
2 c. finely chopped onions
1 c. diced carrots
1/2 c sliced celery
1 lb. fresh mushrooms- sliced
2 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 can beef broth
1 can chicken broth
2 c. Water (I usually add more)
1/2 c medium pearl barley
1 tsp salt (opt.)
1/2 tsp. pepper
In soup pot, brown meat. Remove with slotted soup and set aside.
Cook onions, celery and carrots in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, thyme and garlic. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add the broths, water, barley salt and pepper. Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until meat and barley are tender.

I love this on a chilly afternoon. It is even better with Dilly Rolls, but that's another posting.


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

HMMMMMM-YUM! I will definitely have to try that this "soup season." I had fun at the table with you last night. I needed some good laughs. Lesley and I were talking about doing a Girls Night Out soon. You in this time?