Monday, June 1, 2009

My Dates with Superman


June 1st. 1979. I woke up after a sleepness night. Sleepless, because it is hard to sleep with a head full of large barrel brush rollers and the sound of a tornado in the bed next to you. I spent my last night as a lonely single woman with my snoring Grandmother in the bed next to mine, and my final night of wearing rollers to bed. I hurried and made myself up as beautiful as I could and hurried to pick up Steve and get to the Salt Lake Temple. We were chaperoned by my future father in law. It's been thirty short years since that beautiful morning and I am sure I have forgotten many details, but these memories are bright. I felt like a queen, it was so special to be fussed over and 'arranged' by the sisters at the temple. Steve was (and is) the most handsome thing I've ever seen. I was surrounded by loved ones. The day was beautiful and sunny and the flowers were perfect. I just wanted to be in the arms of my sweetheart forever...oh yeah that was the point of the day! I know that there was much that I missed in the messages of that day. I believe Heavenly Father is lenient and lets little brides have their special day. He lets them be princesses. He lets them adore their sweethearts. He smiles on those precious days and knows that they will get the bigger picture at a future date. I feel so blessed to have started this adventure in the temple. The temple has been an important piece of our happiness.

I am still learning. I am still loving. My heart still flutters when I hear him walk in a room. He just keeps getting better and more 'super'. I still feel sad when he goes on camping trips or has to work late. I am spoiled by him constantly. He is superman. Being with him is the best gift ever. I can't believe that it has been thirty years, because I still feel like that wide eyed bride, but they have been the best thirty years of my life.

7 comments:

Morgan said...

Happy 30th Anniversary!!!!!! If you need me to take the kids this afternoon so you guys can go on a date. Let me know.

adrienne said...

Happy Anniversary! I love how you talk about your husband. You can really feel how much you guys love each other.

Lesley said...

I thought about you two!! I hope you both had a wonderful anniversary.

Tiffany said...

Tender post. Happy Anniversary. (PS-I HATED the fuss the ladies at the temple made over me. I was so ornery to one of them, my mother said, "If I could, I'd turn you over my knee and spank you." You are a kinder person than I am!)

Stephanie said...

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! We love you guys and are grateful for your willingness to make your marriage strong. Thanks - we reap the benefits!

Love,
The Lamberts

heather said...

Beautiful post! Next time you children are dancing or singing in the rain let us know, our kiddos love that kind of stuff!@

Bonnie and Jim said...

Happy Anniversary!! I'm looking forward to our dinner.