Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Satifaction

Nothing feels better than seeing your storage shelves lined with good food that you grew yourself or acquired locally and very fresh. It feels good to think about using your efforts in the coming months. I have had a riot this year. I have tried new things that are so good. I am looking forward to a few more new things. This year I tried making Peach Curd. It is wonderful. Now I wish I had a few more peaches. I am also going to bottle lemon and lime curd. I have a new recipe to try called Caramel Spiced Pear Butter. The pears are ripening as I type. I also tried making my own ketchup. I have bottled 36 quarts of tomatoes and plan to do a few more. We made salsa which we love! I have frozen chilies for casseroles. Frozen corn, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and peaches. I made freezer tomato sauce and it seems amazing.
  I feel so bad when I see a yard with beautiful fruit trees and gardens that no one is harvesting.I am trying to share my extra produce. Thank heavens for social media where I can share and ask for all this wonderful harvest!
Teh tomatoes performed their very best this year.

I also dried a bunch of herbs. This batch of basil was used in the tomato sauce.

The tomato sauce starts in the oven. You cut an 'X' in the bottom of each tomato and put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 -30 minutes until the skin will peel easily and they will 'smash' well. 

Peach Raspberry jam. Yum Yum.

Thanks to my friend for letting me raid her tree. Can't wait to preserve these. 

More of those wonderful tomatoes.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Wow! It all looks great! That is one if the great things about early fall. I was thinking that peach curd would taste delightful in your yogurt.

Rebekah said...

I absolutely agree! Canning is so fulfilling. I love it.