Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Applekin Festival 2010- Installment Two


I announced, "Let's smash apples!" I was amazed as everyone excitedly moved to the pressing area. Steve wasn't even there, but we were excited to get started. My mom, all the daughters, grandchildren and my nieces were ready to work. We had 4 people at a time slicing apples.

The little girls assigned themselves the task of putting the apples into the washing tubs.

Alaina even took a cloth and wiped the apples and put them on the cutting board. Jeremiah manned the disposal.

All the children were clustered around the bucket at the bottom of the pipe waiting for the first bits of smashed apple to emerge. The people who were involved last year were happy to let the 'greenies' do the work this year. Soon after the bucket was filled with pulp, Steve and Jeremiah took the pulp and put it in the 'racks'. (Racks are squares of pulp in meshy type cloth, stacked on top of each other and placed in the press.) Then they applied pressure to squeeze out the juice. It was fantastic. The juice is almost gone already. We still need to take Grandma and the Hulse girls their share. It was such a fun day. Bummer- I can't drink the juice. I will admit that I tasted about 1/4 cup. I don't feel it is really fair that I have to give up fresh squeezed apple juice along with chocolate. I haven't complained about the chocolate but......

Steve, the apple man

1 comment:

Marinda said...

That was so much fun. Thanks for putting that on. We loved the apple juice and I only have apple juice ice cubes left.