Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cutting Wood

Wow! I have no idea why this popped into my head as I let my mind remember my past. I tried to pick an age of life past my teenage years and wham-Cutting Wood was there.
   We lived in a cute ancient cottage when we were first married. We brought our first loved child to this home (meaning all my children are loved!)  Steve was able to build a beautiful hearth and wall to house a wood-burning stove on it. It was a toasty affair that Steve totally loved. We found ourselves needing wood to burn. This meant several day trips to the Uintahs to procure fuel. You could purchase a permit at a ranger's station. You were shown on a map where you could gather wood. Then off you went for the rest of the day. I always accompanied Steve on these excursions because I loved being with him...still do. It was exciting to get up in the wee dark hours of the morning and pack a breakfast, lunch and water for the day. It was fun riding into the beautiful mountains that we loved. When we stopped and found the area that we were gathering from, Steve would start cutting the trees. I still can't figure out why but I felt like we were trespassing and were going to get yelled at. We always had the proper authorization. Just me feeling funny about disturbing nature. One year, we were cutting in an area that had been burned by a fire. Everything was black including us! I don't think we ever got clean after that trip. We took little Stephanie with us on these jaunts. That wasn't as fun for me. I felt like a prisoner in the cab of the truck as if I let her out to run around she may wander off or some gnome might steal her away per folk song lore. She was content to play and the day passed quickly. I always was ready to come home before Steve. I would tell him  the truck was full enough and he would just keep piling it fuller! We would arrive home after dark and I would finish the day exhausted. It is hard work sitting in the cab of a truck with a toddler. Sometimes, we had help getting the wood or we were helping family members gather their fuel supply. Those were times of innocence. Little did I know all the growth waiting for me around the bends of life. How I would love to spend a day in the forest once again with my only worries being: are we in the right place, are we going to get yelled at by a ranger, how am I going to keep a little one entertained, do I have enough diapers? But I wouldn't change my life experiences. I have learned that Heavenly Father is with us always. He loves us and sends comfort and strength we never knew were possible. He teaches lessons as we open our hearts to learn. He gave us all this beautiful world to experience.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember visiting you in your house in Centerville. I still think of you guys when I drive past there.